Thursday, May 19, 2011

Empowerment

Today is Thursday or so I've been told. I thought it was Tuesday. I have really lost the sense of time and date since I've gotten here. It's easy to do when you don't have a watch and you don't have a schedule. Hmmm... how sweet it is to be in Nepal! So this morning I enjoyed breakfast with my traveling partner Elise, porridge banana and coffee. Then I ventured off alone to explore the town, shoot some pictures, and purchase some fresh fruit.

Each face in Nepal that I see has a story of their own. I spent the morning walking to parts of Pokhara I had yet to explore. I met a great young man with a fruit stand and bought some apples, bananas, and a fresh mango. My body was craving some fresh sweet fruit and I found exactly what I needed. I walked into the north part of Pokhara and went trigger happy. Each face I see has a story of its own really even the very young ones. I shared my bananas with some small boys who traded a picture for some fruit, I thought it was a pretty fair bargain. The town is all getting ready for a peaceful protest tomorrow, a strike, about the new constitution that is to be put into effect. All the buses and taxis will be shut down for the next two days.. good thing our plans weren't to leave until Sunday anyways.

I proceeded to the Empowering Women of Nepal building around one to capture the young women trekkers English lesson. The women are in their early twenties or so and are very fun and full of life. They were having conversations on what they like and why they like it. It's funny that no matter what cultural differences or geographical differences we have, at the core we're all human. Their answers were ones I would have given to what I like and why I like it. They are very forward women to say the least and through some sly conversation they found out I spoke a little Nepali so we started to have conversation in Nepali. I felt very comfortable to speak with them because their English is just about as good as my Nepali.. ;) Tomorrow I'm going back to speak with them again to practice. It was fun to have that common ground of learning from each other, isn't that what life is all about? It was a perfect picture of how two worlds can come together and work together. Communication isn't impossible no matter who you are or where you're from. Human is Human and one way or another we'll figure out what we're trying to get across.

I did two interviews today, one with the language instructor and the other with Lucky. What I really got out of these interviews was this idea of empowerment. What does it mean to be empowered? Or to empower? It's a very bold word. Discovering that you are limitless was what the language instructor told me. Allowing yourself to see potential, to take a step forward, and to build relationships. To learn and to teach. To become what you thought you couldn't.

Enlightenment. That was Lucky's answer. But what is enlightenment? Lucky gave me a wonderful interview, she is so well spoken, intelligent, and practical in her approach to life. But really stuck with me is the conversation we had after the interview. She told me that when she first climbed a mountain everyone laughed at her. She wasn't the strongest or the most athletic, but she had an idea and committed to it. Talking with her about her life leading up to the organization she said she was always afraid of doing something different because she thought it could be something wrong. But then through time she realized that without trying you never know what will happen. And if you aren't hurting anyone it isn't wrong. But what is this idea of enlightenment that has brought her success in life, relationships, and business. She told me a story..

There was a man, his son, and a donkey. They were on a road traveling, all three walking. The first village they passed the people asked why isn't your son on the donkey? He's too young to be walking. So the man agreed and put his son on the donkey and proceeded on down the road. The next place they passed the people questioned, why is the old man walking when the strong young man is riding? So the guy thought about it, agreed, and he got on the donkey and rode on the donkey along with his son as they continued down the road. Again they passed another place and this time the people took pity on the donkey, "poor donkey having to carry both those passengers.." What is the man to do? Lucky told me she realized that she couldn't please everyone in life, and she couldn't do everything to solve everyone's problems, but she could do something. Enlightenment is being honest. And there is only three things to be honest to. First she said is God because no one sees you on the inside except for him, and he knows the honesty of your heart. The second is yourself because if you are untrue to yourself then you cannot ever be true to anyone else and cannot ever become what it is you are designed to be in life. And the third is your parents because they are a part of them and your decisions are in honor to them.

It isn't about being the best, the strongest, the brightest. It isn't about going after what everyone else wants for you or from you. It isn't about solving the world's problems. It's about seeing you for what you are, recognizing your own capabilities, loving the gifts and life you've been given, and pursuing purpose, laughter, joy, relationship.. enlightenment.

I sat with Lucky for a few hours over tea, we drink so much tea, and she just poured into me a lot that I didn't know I needed to hear. I've often questioned my motives to use film to address needs, I have also faced doubt from others and resistance to if what I'm doing is important or even necessary but what I learned from Lucky today was I can't please everyone, or prove to everyone my goals, but i can be honest with myself, my parents, and God. And in that I am doing well. Sure there is always room for improvement and growth and we should pursue that. But to not be worried about the world's judgements and doubts.

She said those who have good eyes will see the good in the world and know it is worth going after. Those who have bad eyes will only see bad in the world, and for those we cannot be worried or bothered by their doubt. We can only do the best we can. And to close it, she looked at me and said Actions speak louder then words Anne. I'm not a good speaker but I'm good at actions and I'm good at doing what I believe I can do. I think the loss of words I had yesterday, Lucky was able to give me today. I felt enlightened.

It was a good cup of tea, a much needed reassurance to continue down my own path. Leadership is about learning and teaching. Today I was definitely a student of a great leader.

So my challenge to you is to find what empowerment means to you. I too am processing it. But realize that we're not called to conquer the world, just to take a look at the practical and simple things we have at hand, and feel empowered to contribute what we can. That in itself is enough.

I am lucky to spend this time with Lucky.

Anne

2 comments:

Karina said...

Thank you for this post - I definitely needed it today!

Erin Elizabeth said...

I second Karina's post. Anne, I am so jealous of the tales you have been writing about. It reminds me of my personal experiences in Africa with the scenery of the place and the conversations with the people. I miss it!

I am so glad you are using this to update us, keep it up because I can't get enough of it!

Post a Comment