Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Storytelling is Hard To Do When There Are No Words

We arrived in Pokhara Tuesday afternoon by bus. The next challenge was to find the Three Sister's base in the town. Pokhara is much quieter then Kathmandu, much more peaceful and content. No one seems to be lacking, the community is very polite, outgoing, and happy and the scenery is breathtaking.

Elise and I eventually found the Three Sisters house and were invited to have a room in their guest house which is right outside the center of the town. The most exciting part of the day was finally meeting Lucky and her family. They live in a beautiful home on the hill of the mountain surrounded by wild tall green plants. Just down the hill is her training school, children's home, and office. Lucky and her sisters are extraordinary women. I can't wait to share her story with you, but I'll let her do the talking.

Wednesday (today) morning I woke up and had breakfast then went on a walk around the lake and rice farms. As I was shooting pictures and video, I couldn't help but wonder how I was ever going to capture the sites, smells, and emotions I was experiencing. How do you tell a story when words just won't do? A part of me believes there is much more to share and learn then I had originally anticipated, and I don't think one trip is enough to cover it all.. :) life in Pokhara is very graceful and effortless yet there is a lot of work being done. I have met many wonderful people already and everyone moves to their own beat, yet the music of the community has stolen my heart.

I was given a tour of the Three Sisters building and met with their volunteer English teacher. Her and I had a long talk about life, passion, purpose, and Nepal. It's funny how all those ideas are brought out in conversation out here.. must be that free Himalayan air ;)

Elise and I were invited to Lucky's beautiful home to have lunch with her and her family. Meal time is a very important and intimate time here and no meal is spent alone. We ate like kings which they tend to do for every meal. And they are really creative with menu options and dessert. I really enjoy traveling because of the food, and I told Lucky that and she agreed there's nothing better then finding new friends and enjoying the culture's cuisine. I enjoy the energy and presence of Lucky and her sister. They are very much brilliant and strong women, but yet gentle and motherly.

After lunch Elise and I decided to rent mountain bikes and go exploring. We went to the south side of town where we ran into a riot in the streets.. so we turned around and wondered outside of the town into the villages and farms. Not to long after leaving the town the rain moved in and we were now riding through the hills of the villages in a nice cool afternoon shower.. or that's at least how it started. When we had gotten pretty far out of town, the thunder and lighting moved in and it was down pouring. Completely drenched and too far to make it back to our guest house, we sought shelter in a couple's small guest house and sat as the rain poured into the rice fields and roads. It was refreshing, wild, beautiful, and exactly what I needed to finally feel at home here. My body felt rest in the storm and even now as I sit in a coffee/cyber cafe and listen to the rain flood the streets I feel peace here, like this is a place I'm to belong to. Although I may be the only one in the town feeling that way.. even the cows are running for shelter and complaining about the rain ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to sit down with Lucky and some of the other women and interview them on the organization, life, and the past present and future of women in Nepal. She is amazing and so full of life and insight. I'm completely in awe of her simplicity and her heart to serve these women. We'll probably stay in Pokhara for a few more days and begin our trekking on Sunday. We've met some friends (one being from Colorado) who have just completed the Annapurna Circuit and have been telling us wonderful things about it that have me completely pumped to start exploring. Except for the stories about the leeches which have been brought up in conversation, especially now that the rains are hitting! The people I'm meeting both foreigners and the locals are what is making this journey so special. And I've been working on speaking Nepali, which is getting some great reactions, they are impressed.

So closing thought, I met a young man named Kissem, and he runs a local cafe called Anne's Cafe.. I was out on a walk and he joined me and was telling me about his family and his restaurant.. mero naam Anne ho! I was said to him.. and then he told me Anne was a boy's name and he named his place after his nephew and then laughed that my name was Anne. Can't win them all I guess!

I'm enjoying my time here very much and am gathering a lot of great footage. Lucky is going to take some of the video to Paris with her in July to share with some other women who are working in neighboring countries on women employment initiatives. I'm excited to be welcomed by these women to share my work and hope that it'll generate a long lasting partnership.

Pictures to follow I promise.. although this not having a phone or computer by my side all the time is quite liberating.. I think I'm going to call Pokhara home, I'll post my new address in the next blog ;)

Namaste

Anne

2 comments:

Alexandro said...

Inspiring, my friend!
I spent over a month in that amazing town in 1999. I love it!

Happy journeys!
Alx

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Anne, I am sooooo happy for you... and somewhat jealous if I might say so.

Keep blogging!! I'm loving reading about your journey:)

Much love... and I miss you!


Love,

Your Roomie;)

Post a Comment