Friday, May 13, 2011

Is it too cliche to sing John Denver? "Leav-ing on a jet plane.."



Passport and Visa.. check
Clif Bars.. mmm... check
Camera... check
Anticipation and eagerness to trek the Annapurna Circuit while shooting a film about women's rights in Nepal.. check.

I just sat down to punch out a quick blog, but first, out of habit, I clicked into my email account like I do 8,000 times a day. I had a new email from a wonderful young woman who too is working on spreading information and education about women's rights in Nepal. She had discovered my kickstarter.com video and contacted me. Even better, she's out of Denver and is the Executive Director of a non-profit that helps in supporting initiatives about women's rights in developing countries... what perfect timing.

When I started the planning of this journey a year ago with my pal Elise I didn't know exactly why I was going to Nepal or what I would be doing. It took me months to decide if this would be a work related opportunity or just an adventure. But as I processed this trip I kept thinking to myself, It is amazing to be a young white woman in America who can just pick up and go across the world and do whatever she wants. But when I found out about Lucky and the women of Three Sisters Trekking Adventures I quickly realized when I was being called to this beautiful area. It doesn't matter if your a young adventurous woman in the United States or in Nepal, we all deserve the same opportunities of education, appreciation, employment, and empowerment to pursue life. So that was it, I was going to Nepal and I was going to learn from these amazing women who are tackling mountains much higher then I could ever conquer. Mountains of social barriers, traditions the limit what woman can do, not being able to earn an education or earn the respect of the hard work they endure day after day.

It is truly my belief that we're all given gifts and opportunities in this life so that we can come alongside our brothers and sisters either next door or across the world and share life with them. I'm taken care of here, I have the most wonderful support system of employers, friends, and family I could ever ask for. And now I want to use my gifts of production and mountaineer skills to support the efforts of my sisters in Nepal. I know and appreciate the free gift here in the United States to go out and be a women in the mountaineering community, in the work force, and in every day society. I want to be able to help in the effort of creating that gift for more women all over the world. So my bags are packed, my passport is right next to me, and my heart is racing to board the plane.

This trip is dedicated to you, all my friends and family who have listened to my dreams, encouraged me when I get on my soapbox, helped in my raising of support, and most of all believed in me. Elise and I will be trekking the entire circuit and maybe even going off course now and again, just because we can. We will also be in Pokhara with Lucky and her organization where I will begin to work on the film and take time to listen to their story and learn from these women. My only expectation for this trip is that I'm going to completely be changed for all the right reasons.

I hope to blog as much as I can, although I do a terrible job at it when I'm in the US and have 24/7 access to the computer ;) I will however make a better attempt while I'm over there to share my stories and the stories of others with you. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me, I couldn't have done it without each and everyone of you.

Namaste

Anne

2 comments:

Karina said...

I've told you this a million times, but I'll say it again - you're brilliant, amazing and an inspiration and I am SO very lucky to call you my friend!
Best wishes on your trip, and I'll have to come out for a viewing party of your film when it is finished.
<3 love

Diana said...

You truly are an inspiration... and part of the reason I came to Africa.

Have a blast, and don't forget there is a bed for you in Burkina Faso when you want one! :)

Post a Comment