Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Namaste from Nepal

After a 17 hour nap on the plane, quick tour of beautiful Hong Kong, and a lot of hot tea & coffee, Elise and I finally made it to Nepal. We stayed two nights in the busy city of Kathmandu. Like clock work (even with jet lag) I awoke our first morning at 5:30 a.m. and looked out our window. Running across the roof was a baboon chasing birds.. I was definitely not in Colorado anymore!

Our first day in Kathmandu was spent traveling about the city. Wow. The culture and the people are absolutely beautiful. I must have walked miles all over the alleys and busy streets trying to wrap my head around their day-to-day life. We went and toured the historical Durbar Square and was able to observe their crazy bazaar and their beautiful spiritual practices. I felt though as if I was watching this all play out on a screen and not right in front of me. I feel as though I'm unable yet to fully immerse in this country and with these people. They have so much to teach me and I am ready to learn.

Elise and I decided to head out of Kathmandu after two days and head to Pokhara to prepare for our trek but most importantly to meet Lucky. And that is where I am now. We just unloaded from a long bus ride through the country side. The road was crazy busy with buses and cows, and the road laws in Nepal are nonexistent much like my experience in Haiti. Its best to just take a nap and hope when you wake up your bus isn't falling off the mountain from being run off the road. We did however blow a tire.. all in a day's experience!

This is a short post as we have to head out into the city to find the organization and a place to stay for the night. I'll post more, and hopefully some pictures when I'm able to.. I've taken about 500 so far. I'll leave you with this.. I feel at home in Nepal and know I'm here for much more then I can reason with now. My eyes are being opened to so much and I'm having a hard time sleeping because I want to see and hear and learn everything.

Nepali momo's are amazing by the way.. and so is the chai & naan =)

Best,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment