Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fine Wine and Dining ... but it can be sketchy

Namaste. I love that everyone goes out of their way around here to say that to you.

Yesterday (Friday) Elise and I took a boat out on Lake Fewa to paddle around and exercise a different muscle group from all the walking and biking we've been doing. We headed to a small island on the lake which is the home to a Hindu temple. It was beautiful to be out on the water surrounded by the mountains. It was also very beautiful and interesting to go on the island and observe the practices of the Hindu people. They're very much in love with their faith and there is no shame to display it not only in public by visiting their temples but also on their faces with the markings. Not that I want to be Hindu but I do admire their adoration for their faith, makes me want to be more bold in what I believe.

After that we were burnt to a crisp from being on the water in the hot sun and decided to lay low. I went off and did some yoga... is yoga in Nepal a hipster thing? I'm not sure but it felt wonderful!

Lucky had Elise and I over later that night for a girls wine night. It was a lot of fun. First of all Nepali wine is very strong! Lucky's sister Dicky joined us and told us the story of how their business was started. They first opened the guest house and restaurant but coming from India they didn't know much English or how to work in tourism. For example one gentleman ordered Eggplant off their menu and they literally put a fried egg on a flower :) She said for the first couple years it was actually western visitors who helped bring their business together by teaching them to cook, work with clients, how to keep an organized office etc. It was interesting to hear how the business began, not by the blood sweat and tears of the three sisters but by a collaboration of supportive visitors who saw the vision of Lucky and the others and believed in them. Nothing we do in this world is completely on our own, and Lucky's story reminded me of that. We all need each other and we can all do something to help out another, even if it's to teach someone how to cook a real eggplant. I couldn't have gotten this far in my own journey if it wasn't for my family, my friends, professors, coworkers. It's good to know that we're not completely alone on our journeys.. and why would you want to be? Dicky is quite the spark, she's so fun and just wants to dance and love on people. Her and I talked a while about how its good to have friends in all places so you're never not at home. She said she has to talk to people and has to make friends everywhere she goes or she loses happiness. She said we're all human so why not dance together?

So we wined and dined.. and I mean a lot of food. They do eat a lot around here so we had homemade salsa, chips, nuts, soup, banana pancakes, falafels, I could go on forever. But at the end of the night it was a great time to spend with the sisters. However, something wasn't right in all that food and I have spent the following 20 hours suffering from it. Yes I got super sick let's leave it at that ;) Fever, bedridden, unable to eat anything ... it's been quite awful.

I managed to work up some strength and go to the local pharmacy to get some much needed medication. Lucky came and found me and told me a film crew was in town and she needed me for the project. Prince William and his wife Kate started a foundation with their wedding and Lucky's organization was in the top three to receive the money. Their film crew was in town shooting a documentary and needed some trekking footage. So I had to put on my happy face and hiking boots and head out to the hills with some of the guides of Three Sisters. It was a lot of fun actually hiking through the jungle with the girls and knowing Lucky's organization was gaining more support. So I'll be on the BBC.. this has been a hodgepodge of a trip! But quite an honor for Lucky and I wish her the best.

Right now Elise and I preparing to leave for the trail head tomorrow! We'll begin our twenty day trek of the Annapurna Circuit and I'm really looking forward to it. Today as I was in town I was able to catch a glimpse of Machu Picchu, the tippy top in all it's glory. It was strong and mighty to say the least! Tomorrow I will be fully immersed in the Annapurna region and am looking forward to being amazed at God's creation that I hear puts the Rockies to shame ;)

We will however be returning to Pokhara after our trekking so my time with Lucky and the girls of three sisters is not over. Besides.. Elise and I are looking into budgeting a rafting trip while we're out here.. Its pretty wild so why not! Class 4+ to class 5... Hell yes!

Well I am feeling better, I managed to have some plain noodles for dinner and get some antibiotics in my system. Let's hope for the better the rest of the time. All part of the journey right? ;)

Tomorrow starts a new chapter of this journey. Hello Annapurna!

Good Night

Anne

1 comment:

Post a Comment